Saturday, June 9, 2007

RELAXING DAY!!

We don’t have a lot going on today. We can’t see Jacob today. Andrew is gone. We are moving this afternoon to a different apartment where we can wash clothes. Hopefully we will be able to move one more time while we are here so we can get an apartment with 2 bedrooms so Andrew can stay with us. We have to pay for his travel and accommodations. It helps if he stays with us. Since we don’t have a lot going on today I thought I would try to post some information that would to helpful to those families traveling here to adopt.

I having been reading blogs for 2 years and learned a lot and talking with people. I know each region is probably different but some things don’t change. First, if you want bottled water that isn’t carbonated ask for water no gas (which is the one with the light blue cap, not dark blue). I read they don’t have toilet paper here. They do in hotels and the apartments. They don’t in the squat pots, which is nothing more than a hole in the floor. The term squat pot came from Laurie which has been to Africa and that is what they are called there. The port-a-potties don’t have TP either and you have to pay to use them. They are about 10 cents. Also you have to pay to use some of the squat pots. I would suggest bringing the little travel packs of Kleenex.

We were told to bring water and crackers, which is a good idea. Thanks, Donna. We brought a little too much though. I would bring 2-4 bottles. You can buy it in Kyiv.

The supermarket that we went to in Kyiv had pretty much everything we have at home. We brought coffee, sugar, creamer, etc. Their coffee is stronger and they sugar isn’t as sweet though.

The apartments in Kyiv run about $80 per night. TGIFriday’s and McDonald’s are about the same price.

I need to clarify about the taxis I mention earlier. The price per trip isn’t bad. The expensive part is the amount of time we are using them. We aren’t close to the orphanage, or the Inspector, or McDonald’s (which James has to have). We spent 7.5 hrs with our taxi driver one day. Then yesterday we went over 400 km. We have negotiated a price of 35 cents per km.

The Internet Cafes are cheap. It’s about 20 cent per hour here in Simferopol. I don’t know the price in Kyiv. We used wireless and it didn’t cost us anything.

Skype.com is wonderful. I can’t say enough about it. It is 4 cents to connect and 2 cents per minute to call home. It helps tremendously with the homesickness. It’s easy to download and to connect. Thanks, Clark and Jenny for telling us about it. If you don’t bring a laptop I did notice that the computers at the Internet Café have Skype on them. You would probably just have to setup an account.

If you don’t know the blog website are free to use. I do know that blogcity.com is not user friendly. The one we are using, which is blogspot.com is user friendly. I don’t know about any of the others.

We have a DVD player in our apartment, which will play the movie but it doesn’t have audio. Andrew, our translator explained there is a difference in the configuration of the audio of US vs. Europe. We did bring some to play in our laptop but we haven’t had time to watch any. If you bring any I would suggest just a few. The luggage gets pretty heavy moving as much as we have, especially with all the stairs.

I hope I haven’t overwhelmed you with information. If anyone has any questions that I have thought to address send them to me in the comments. I will answer anything I can.

Joann – We mentioned looking at pictures on your blog on March 31, 2005. I must have overlooked the address. Can you please send it to me?

Signing off for now.

James, Teresa, & Jacob

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Glad to hear you have some time to relax today. I'll send the measurements of Matthew later today. Your tank (Tahoe) is safe and sound at home and I have my (little) Jeep back. Boy, do they drive different but I can see where I am going.
Love
Melissa

nana&papaw said...

Hi I'm here feeding the cats
and giving Rowdy his shot.
We got home later than we
planned to Friday nite so
his shot was about 8:15PM
Its 8:15 AM now.We're
waiting for your call.**Its
so strange to know your day
is almost gone and we're
waiting on a call and its
still morning the same day.
It rained here while we
were taking the Jeep home,
looks like we're gonna
mow yall's grass after all
which is wonderful. I think
the whole mountain got rain
at times Friday.
I sure wish you could see
Jacob this week-end so he
have more time to warm up
to you. We want more pics
too.We're glad he's out of
the sick room. Herb printed
up wallet size pics so we
can take it with us to show
everbody.
I listened to your phone
messages, all are 1 CALLS
about yall and Miss Iris.
Talk to you next week.

Love Mama and Daddy
PS: Maybe Jacob can learn
to say Nana and Papaw by the
time you get back.

Anonymous said...

Hey James and Teresa, I have been reading your blogs, daily sounds like every thing is going pretty good for yall, Madisom saw a pic of you with Jacob and she was like "look mommy that lil boy looks like James" how precious is that~ She is already wanting to play with him~ well be safe, love ya Nicole, Willie and Madison

Anonymous said...

Glad you are getting to rest a little. Maybe Monday when you get to see Jacob he will feel a lot better and will let yall hold him more.Everything here is fine. Mother told me you called her.She said to tell yall she loves you.I' m gonna be lazy til time to go to work. Will talk to you later.
Love
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Teresa and James,
Glad to hear you have some down time. I hope you can catch up on some rest. I know Monday will start another busy week, at least you get to see that sweet little Jacob..
Roby and I are doing nothing today, watching Izak and the saturday work...
Glady's and Robert took Jaden to the aquarium today we could not go the chickens are over 6 weeks old and the weather is hot and humid here, had to stay close to home..
We miss you all, we will be glad to get you all home.
Trigger is down for a few days and doing good..we saw her last night for a couple of hours..
oh yes I printed the blogs for Robert and Gladys to see and read. There was 11 pages as of last night..her and Robert both said Jacob favors James and looks like he is going to have your hair color...
Enjoy your relaxing day and know we love you all.
Sandra and Roby

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I don't have an address just directions to the restaurant --

The restaurant is on Kuybysheva St, north of the roundabout intersection that's on the north side of Detskii (Children's) Park.

Speaking of tips, here is something that I wish I had done -- I wish I had taken pictures of the kids in my daughter's groupa. Then make copies for them to keep. These kids don't have pictures of themselves when they grow up and it would have been a gift to give them -- a bit of their history.

Wish I had know about SKPE back then -- maybe it wasn't even around back then:>

Sorry you haven't been able to see your son. I hope he is feeling better really soon so you can start bonding with him.

Take care.