Saturday, July 14, 2007

FIRST NIGHT WITH MAMA & DADDY

Yesterday was a long and very busy day. We got to the courthouse at 8:20 AM and dropped Andrew off. Then Paul, our very nice English speaking taxi driver, took us to the orphanage to get Jacob so we could go get his passport pictures. We had to go see the doctor for a pass to take him out of the orphanage. This sounds simple but, of course, with everything in Ukraine it is not. Paul was kind enough to translate for us. We had to get the main doctor to sign the pass. We also had to have a caregiver go with us. They chose one, but Jacob wasn’t familiar with her, so we got Tanya, one of his favorite.

Jacob’s first car ride. Tanya got in the car with him and he whined, so she got out and waited a minute or two. When she got back in the car she entertained him with toys. He did fine. It was a short ride. We got to the photo shop (and I use the term shop loosely) to find they hadn’t open yet. The sign said 9:00 AM and it was 9:20. As Paul said, very typical of Ukraine. The lady showed up a couple minutes later. After about 15-20 shots we took the best 2 shots there were. We were close enough to the orphanage that Tanya walked back with Jacob and we waited about 10 minutes for the pictures. During this time Andrew still hadn’t got our court decree.

Around 10:30 Andrew called and had the court decree and had dropped off the passport application and asked us to meet him at the notary office. After that we had to go back to the orphanage to talk with the doctor. The doctor along with James and myself had to sign some more paperwork. For a child that we were told was fine with no neuro problems we now find out Jacob takes 2 different medications everyday. He is also taking some pills for 7-10 days. The only explanation for the meds is to keep him calm. Needless to say, I will be finding more asap. Back to the whirlwind day. We finally headed for the birth city of Armiansk at 11:30 to get the new birth certificate. This was a 5 hour trip. We got back to the passport office to find out we couldn’t get the passport until the morning due to the main guy leaving at 2:00. Hopefully we are not going to have any problems getting the passport this morning or we will be here in Simeropol until Monday at least.

Then as we are headed to the orphanage to pick up Jacob the lawyer calls and says we have to sign some MORE papers take them to the Inspector’s office for the Inspector to sign then back to the orphanage and give the paperwork to the doctor. Throw in a couple of short visits to the orphanage director’s office too.

We finally got to pick up Jacob. While James and Andrew went to see the doctor for the last time, thankfully I was getting Jacob changed into his new BOY clothes with one exception. I didn’t bring socks because it is 90 degrees and I have him sandals, but the caregiver just had to put socks on him and, you guessed it, they were girly socks.

He did GREAT during the car ride to the apartment. They dropped Jacob and myself off at the apartment then went to get medicine and, again you guessed it, McDonald’s. Jacob instantly went to exploring the apartment and went straight to one of the suitcases and started unloading it. We have found out that Jacob likes fries and chicken McNuggets. He ate very well. I had a caramel sundae and James wanted me to give Jacob some. I told James he wouldn’t like it because he is not used to cold stuff. I let him try a bite and he spit it out. I’m sure in time he will come to love it like all kids. After he ate we gave him his first real bath in a tub. He LOVES bathtime. Like most kids he loves to splash. He isn’t afraid of the water at all. He was pouring water over his head and it was running all in his face.

We had a small problem with bedtime. He cried for a few minutes. I rocked him in my arms for about 20 minutes and he fell asleep. He is a very restless sleeper. We tried letting him and James sleep in the bed and I slept (for a while) on the little sofa in the kitchen. Sometime around 11:30 he fell off the bed. I don’t think he completely woke up but when I got to him he was standing up. I decided to try to sleep with them. James and I neither one got much sleep. Jacob slept for 11 hours. He was a little slow moving this morning.

He fed himself oatmeal for breakfast, what wasn’t all over him. So of course he needed another bath this morning. James handled the bath while I have been typing this blog. Then the big fight came. He swallowed his pill last night with no problem, but this morning he didn’t want the syrup. We tried to give him his medicine and he spit it out all down the front of himself. I didn’t want to put clothes on him until he took his medicine but I should have put a diaper on. Oh yeah, he did it. He wet me good. You would think I would have learned from being around Matthew and listening to Melissa and Scott. Chalk it up to sleep deprivation. It took James and I both to get him to take he medicine and he is happily playing right now. I could use any advice on how to get a child to take liquid medicine.

We are planning to go a park near the apartment in a little while. Hopefully Shelby can bring her kids over to play with him.

Well James has breakfast ready so I’ll go for now. Hopefully the next post will be from Kiev.

Love,

JTJ

6 comments:

nana&papaw said...

OH praise the LORD you have
him now.We kept looking
at the clock yesterday and
wondering what you were
doing at that time and
wondering if you had Jacob
yet.I never doubted you
getting the decree without
trouble, other than the
time factor. Daddy and I
said we hope he sleeps well
his first night away from
familiar ???spelling)
surrondings. We hoped you
would get more sleep.
Sorry, no advice on getting
him to take medicine. They'll always eat what
tastes the worst (things
that they shouldn't eat).
The pictures are so cute.
Matthew will be glad Jacob
likes water. He'll have
someone to play with him
in the "kick pool". Oh, I
got Jacob a swim trunks, so
he's set for the pool.
Four more days, that seems
almost as long away as the
last 5 1/2 weeks. Well I've
got to get busy doing last minute things.. I'll go for now. Tell James hi, give
Jacob a big hug from Nana
and Papaw. We love you.

W

Becca said...

JTJ,
So glad that Jacob is finally with you!!! Thought about you all day yesterday and prayed for things to go more smoothly. Alot of new things going on all around for you and for Jacob. Things will get better.
As for the medicine - if you can get a squirt syringe it is easier to get it on the back of the tongue. Sometimes they even like to suck the medicine out of it. I have even used strawberry syrup to hide the flavor of a liquid. Good-luck! Breanna always hated liquid medicine.
Sorry to hear about the delay! Your mom called this morning and told me about the passport paper. We will be praying for that. We are as homesick for you to be here as you are to get back home. I know you are ready to be done with the whirlwind and running around everywhere. Hang in there and know that it won't be long till you will be home. Take care and know how much we miss you and love you.
Give everyone a big hug from me!
Love you,
Becca

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Mom and Dad! We're rejoicing with you!

Still praying,
Jim, Marlene and the gang

Melissa said...

I love the pictures, it's so sweet to watch them sleep. Sounds like he is doing just fine, let's hope that continues on the plane. Hope to see you on Wed. Give Jacob a big hug. I asked Matthew today if he wanted to go play with Jacob and he said "no" of course since everything you ask him the answer is "no" so I was surprised when he said "yes" when I asked him if he would share his toys with Jacob. See you soon. Love and miss you ya'll.

Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord he's finally with mom and dad.Im love the pic with him asleep.He looks like a little angel.Sorry no sleep for mom and dad,but you don't always get alot of sleep.No advise on the meds.All kids hate meds.Hug Jacob for me and I love all of you.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!! No words can express how happy we are for you 3! The best hope I can give you on the meds is CVS does offer fruity flavorings of your choice for all liquid meds. Cherry and grape seem to be the most popular. Hoping and praying you 3 have a safe and pleasant trip home..Oh, and BTW, Jacob has 2 pr. of swim trunks..:) Couldn't help it, they were so cute and Belk had a really great sale!!! Much love to you all!!! Now Get Your Happy Little Selves Home!!